When you’re dealing with unwanted supernatural powers and deep questions of life, death, and morality, what you really need is a slice or two of pie. This week, we’re crossing over whimsical murder-mystery tv series Pushing Daisies with seminal theatrical work Angels in America. Check us out on iTunes, Soundcloud, and Stitcher for a conversation about new band Fancy Boy Shark, being 10% Lindsay Lohan, Annie’s very late workshop notes for Tony Kushner, and lots of people eating pie together.
Where you can find this pop culture (as of show date):
- Pushing Daisies is available to rent/download on platforms like Amazon and iTunes.
- Angels in America is now playing at the National Theatre in London, and it looks like they’ll be doing a broadcast of the production in the states via National Theatre Live, so check your local listings. You can also check out the movie version on HBO.
Readers’ advisory, aka other stuff we like that we think you’ll like, too:
- Big Fish
- Kiki’s Delivery Service
- Sarah Addison Allen’s books
- The Boy Detective Fails
- The Series of Unfortunate Events (books and tv series)
- Veronica Mars
- Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries
- Caroline, or Change
- The Intelligent Homosexual’s Guide to Capitalism and Socialism with a Key to the Scriptures
- Bertolt Brecht’s plays
- In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play
- How I Learned to Drive
- An Octoroon
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
- American Gods